Monday, January 13, 2014

Motivation Monday: Beating the January Blues

As much as I love the fresh start of a new year, January may be my least favorite month. Coming down off of the holiday high is unpleasant enough. But after the post-vacation unpacking,taking down Christmas decor, re-stocking the house with groceries, and looking at the December credit card bills- there is still a whole 31 days of January (not to mention 2-4 months left of winter). [insert #whydidileaveSanDiego? here]  This year seems even worse because there are 5 work weeks in January. Woof. So to combat the winter blues, I've been thinking about what keeps me going (i.e, not staying in bed/crying). And this month I can't even shop, so there goes retail therapy.....


via



  • Take a long, hot bath. The more bubble bath, bath oil, and candles- the better. I'm still planning on trying this lovely little idea via Into the Gloss. Oh, and don't forget your favorite Pandora station. (for baths, I enjoy Lily Allen or Lana Del Ray.)
  • Get outside. I don't care if it's for 5 minutes just do it! Bring along that music and it won't seem so gruesome. 
  • Keep working out. The only thing that's worse than the winter blues is the fat winter blues. Avoid that at all costs. Just remind yourself that summer bodies are made in the winter, and keep thinking about the pool/beach/warm body of water you'll be hopping in as soon as the temps are above 50*) 
  • For the nights when staying in is the only option (I'm looking at you, Polar Vortex) there is one word- NETFLIX. Some favorites on Netflix include Gossip Girl, White Collar, Psych, New Girl, Breakfast at Tiffany's.....and just this week I realized all 8 seasons of Desperate Housewives are on there. SO if you don't see me for a few days, that's where I'll be. (Don't forget the popcorn, and if at all possible, warm/bearded husband ;)
  • Find something to look forward to. A long weekend, a girls night, a ski trip, date night, ANYTHING. Just put it on that shiny new 2014 calendar and let the count down begin. This makes a huge difference.
 Here's to the next few months of wishing I lived in a warmer climate....

What are your tips for beating the January/Winter Blues?

No comments:

Post a Comment