Monday, October 7, 2013

Motivation Monday-- What motivates YOU?

There are a lot of things that motivate me- both external and internal sources. I don't just mean motivate me to be physically fit or healthy, but to get out of bed in the morning, go to work, have career and school aspirations, etc. 


via



External motivation sources include things like positive reinforcement from others ("what a good grade you got!" or "wow, you are looking so fit!") or aspiring to be like someone else or gain what someone else has ("if she can do it, so can I!") 

Internal motivation comes from within [obviously]. What really motivates me internally is knowing that I am capable (self-efficacy) and knowing that I can get passed the obstacles in my way. I am not internally motivated all day everyday- which is why external motivation is important. However, it's essential to realize that you can only be motivated by others so much. Your pinterest boards and Instagram motivators can't actually get your butt out of bed in morning, get you to the gym, make you apply to college-- thats all YOU.

via

I am really fascinated by sources of motivation due to what I do for work. I work for a corporate wellness program and have the opportunity to talk with and coach participants of the wellness program. Some people are very motivated. They obviously haven't always been (which is why they have to work with a coach in the first place), but once they began working, they realized they could succeed. Other's fall back on excuses and try and take the easy way out, setting the most basic and easy goals possible. Of course, everyone starts somewhere, and there's no way to force anyone to be motivated- but that brings me to my point. What motivates you? 


via



Things that motivate me:

  • my faith 
  • past successes
  • past failures
  • seeing other people, my age, doing what I want to do
  • the prospect that I could actually get to where I want to be. what's more exciting than imagining your dream self- and then setting goals (and working toward them) to get there?? And FYI my dream self is a small co-business owner with my husband (wellness/personal training business), MBA grad, and lots of other things ;) 
  • speaking of my husband- he inspires me to be the best I can be- find people in your life who motivate you! And more importantly, get rid of the toxic naysayers  
  • compliments/words of encouragement from others
  • and yes- pinterest boards-- there is power in visualization, and pinterest is certainly the best place for that. 


I'll be the first to say that following your dreams can be scary! I think this is because of two main things. 1. not completely believing in yourself. 2. the naysayers. those damned negative nancys who will try and talk anyone out of anything. Don't listen

via


^^ Thanks Bill, I needed to hear that today. 






No comments:

Post a Comment